Enterprise -- 1000+ brackets

All issues and questions relating to Turbo Tourney should be posted here. Support members, forum moderators and other members can help you with your questions.
thebonanzaking
Old Username: thebonanzaking

Enterprise -- 1000+ brackets

Post by thebonanzaking » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Hello gang,

Long time TT user, love it. I have always used TT Personal Edition with the Internet Add-on feature, and have purchased the same for this 2015 March Madness tournament.

Last year I flirted with 1000 entries, so I'm a bit concerned about needing the Enterprise Edition. I have always used the mysideline site that comes with the internet add-on for entry purposes, reports and standings, and I really have no idea how to build a custom pool website using my own server. I have my own website through godaddy, though, that I use as my pool's "HQ" and then link to the mysideline site for entry, standings and reports.

I understand that the max number of brackets that the Internet Add-on can handle is 1,000. If I upgrade to the Enterprise Edition and receive more than 1,000 entries, will the mysideline site only support the first 1,000 entries? Or, once the tournament starts, will only the top 1,000 entries (in terms of place in the pool) show up on the mysideline site? I guess I'm wondering how the Enterprise Edition and the Internet-Add on can be used in conjunction, if at all.

I am also wondering if there is a tutorial available for running the pool via one's own website. Like I said, I have a domain via godaddy but I know nothing about scripting or servers or anything of the sort (yes, I'm a loser, I know). It would seem that I could use the Enterprise Edition and just post .pdf's of the various reports (standings, configurable standings, player scenarios), although that is less than ideal.

Any assistance that you may provide would be much appreciated, my bracketologist brothers!

Phil Wojo
Old Username: philwojo

Re: Enterprise -- 1000+ brackets

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:16 pm

I'll let Doug answer the questions about the Enterprise stuff, but here is a link to setting up a web-site on your own web space:
[click=http://www.turbotourney.com/tutorials/2 ... .html?id=2]http://www.turbotourney.com/tutorials/2 ... .html?id=2[/click]

Here is a video for FTP settings:
[click=http://www.turbotourney.com/tutorials/2 ... .html?id=5]http://www.turbotourney.com/tutorials/2 ... .html?id=5[/click]

Look at those and see what questions you have. You can always setup a test site on your godaddy site and see if you can get it to work now. If you have questions post back.
~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]
(They rate free hosting services)

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:21 pm

~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]

thebonanzaking

Post by thebonanzaking » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Hey Phil -- thank you for the response. I have watched those videos (in particular, the 2004 video you linked was most helpful), but it's still unclear to me how to host my pool on my own site. Under the FTP Manager, it seems I need to input my Host Name, User Name/Password, and various directories, but I'm not sure what any of those are. I have a domain through godaddy, but it does not appear that I have a hosting account through godaddy (if anyone has any experience with godaddy, please feel free to chime in). I think I may need a hosting account through godaddy...although I really don't want my entire domain to be the TT pages (essentially the mysideline page), so I don't know if I need a domain for my pool's HQ and a separate domain to host the TT stuff, or if they can be hosted all on different pages of one domain (e.g., the homepage of my domain being regular HQ stuff, and then another page of the same domain being the TT stuff (like the entry pages, etc.). I guess the problem is I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to website hosting or FTP, etc. Sorry for the craziness, just hoping to get some tips!!

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 pm

How do you change or update the pages you have now on godaddy?

You should be able to create sub-directories on your godaddy site, just like you would in any file manager. Then you would just navigate to those sub-directories on your web-site just like you would point to any other link. If you site was www.test.com you would then create a sub-directory called say tt, then you could go to www.test.com/tt/ and it would take you to that new directory and whatever you have in it. That is where you could build your own TT files on your site.

Does that make sense?
~Phil

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:19 pm

~Phil

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:27 pm

~Phil

thebonanzaking

Post by thebonanzaking » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Phil, thanks again. To answer your first question, I change or update the pages on my godaddy domain using their "website builder" application. It doesn't look like I can access a File Manager through this application, and it looks like Hosting (in the traditional sense) is a different product than the domain/website builder stuff I have. I just called godaddy and it sounds like I can't have the same domain being hosted using the website builder application and a "regular" hosting situation (i.e, one that I can FTP files to). Thus, it sounds like I need to either get a different hosting package (and a different domain) to host my TT pool on my own website, or just stick with the internet add-on and hope I don't go over 1,000 brackets (depending on what Doug might say about the Enterprise Edition/Internet-add on use in conjunction).

Again, thank you.

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:05 pm

See my signature in any post for free web site hosting options. You could do that, and host your TT files on there, and then link from your godaddy home page to that site, just like you do now to the Internet Add-on site from TT from your godaddy homepage.

Just another thought.
~Phil

thebonanzaking

Post by thebonanzaking » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:06 pm

I was JUST looking at that link you provide! Do you have any recommendations as far as which hosting service to use?

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:09 pm

I don't, they change all the time so check it out and look at their reviews.

You want to make sure you can FTP your files to the web space and that you don't have any crazy usage limits, on the low side, or file storage limits on the low side.

Make sure it doesn't only support SFTP, as TT doesn't support that, just standard FTP.

Other than that it is up to you.

Heck, since it is free you can try and if it doesn't work just abandon it and no harm no foul.
~Phil

Doug
Old Username: Doug

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Sorry to join the discussion so late... technically you are correct that the Internet Add-on only allows up to 1,000 players the thought being if your pool is more than that you really should be using the Advanced web deployment and hosting on your own server. It's just mainly to keep it fair so that the large pools aren't impacting the other smaller pools we host. But I do make exceptions so if you want to just add another 500 or so to that I have no problem with that. Just email at support@turbotourney.com and include your email address that you use on our site and I can increase your limit.

thebonanzaking

Post by thebonanzaking » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks, Doug! I've just sent an email to the address you provided. I am definitely going to look into hosting on my own server for next year...got a bit of a late start this year and I'm obviously a dimwitted novice. Thanks again!

stevegagel

Post by stevegagel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 pm

I posted earlier about how to handle it if my pool went over 1000 entries, and it is looking like that may happen. Doug, I noticed in one of you replies to another individual in the stream around this topic that you do make exceptions to the 1000 entry limit and can add another 500 or so to that limit. That would certainly solve my problem for this year and really want to apply to you for this exception. I have sent an email to support@turbotourney.com requesting this. Is there anything else I need to do for this? Thanks so much for your help.

Doug
Old Username: Doug

Post by Doug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am

Steve I believe I got you all situated with this but let me know if not.