[Answered] My Own Web Site

All issues and questions relating to Turbo Tourney should be posted here. Support members, forum moderators and other members can help you with your questions.

[Answered] My Own Web Site

Postby KYWILDCAT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I may be over my head but I'm trying to load last years contest to my own web site to make sure I can do it and I'm having some trouble. (I've used the internet add on in the past) On the FTP manager it asks for the host name, I'm not sure what to put. My site is hosted through Host Gator but I build my web pages through Word press. I've tried both log on info and it won't log on when I try to upload to my website. Can anyone walk me through this? I'm not to web savy so You'll have to dumb it way, way down for me......lol
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Re: My Own Web Site

Postby Phil Wojo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Do you know if you can login via any FTP client? Does hostgator maybe use SFTP, which TT does NOT support?

Do you have your FTP login information from host gator?
~Phil

Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/ ( Clicked 1856 times )
(They rate free hosting services)

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: philwojo

Postby KYWILDCAT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm not for sure, I'll have to do a little research, I just didn't know what to look for.....lol thanks for giving me a direction. I'll let you know what I find out
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:45 pm

I looked Host Gator supports FTP. i'm sure I'm not doing something right. I'll have to play around with it some more. If anyone has any ideas feel free to jump in......THANKS!!!
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby oly2100z » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:23 pm

I use hostgator. The host name is ftp.(your domain).com
oly2100z

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Sorry didn't see you had posted back on this sorry, did you ever get it working KYWILDCAT?
~Phil

Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/ ( Clicked 1856 times )

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am

Sorry, I've been busy.....I haven't had any luck. I'm thinking it has to do with WordPress, I build my site using a template then it loads it to HostGator. I've tried my login to WordPress and HostGator and neither works. ( I can go to each place and log in so I know I have the right info there ) I've thought about getting a different Web address for the pool but that kind of defeats getting people to go to my business web site. I'm beginning to run out of time so I may just stick with the web hosting here for another year unless someone else has any ideas
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am

Check out this link from hostgator, see if it helps you:

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/f ... connection

You can also get a free web space, see my signature for one, and then link to that from your hostgator page, only you would need to know the new link then.
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 am

Ok....Just got the login issue solved......dumb guy at the keyboard I guess, I tried it all again and I got logged in finally. It goes through and builds the web site then I hit ftp my files and it acts like it uploads but it doesn't show up on my web site. I'm still thinking it has to do with the template I use on WordPress. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll go back and play around with it some more and keep you posted.
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm

What exactly are you doing in TT?

Also, what are your settings in the FTP Manager section, are you maybe uploading it to somewhere other than your main web site link?
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Doug » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:32 pm

I'd double check the directory settings in the FTP Manager... the files are probably getting uploaded to a different/wrong folder on your FTP site as Phil suggests.
Doug

{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: Doug

Postby KYWILDCAT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm sure I'm not doing something right. I think I'm just going to get the web add on again this year and spend the rest of the year educating myself. Thanks for the help.
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:18 am

We can't help you if you don't post what we are asking for, what are your settings in the FTP manager, either take a screen grab and post it or type each field.
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:25 am

This is my screenshot
Attachments
Parallels Picture.png
Parallels Picture.png (194.97 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:43 pm

I can't test this right now as I am at work, but you need to fill in the 3 boxes for "report, script and data" directories with paths to your web site. Even if they are just the default path. That could be the issue, since it doesn't know where to put them. You might just have to put in your patch to your root directory, if that is where you want the files.

I will see if I can look at this when I get home tonight, not sure if I will have time though. Or maybe Doug, or someone else can chime in to assist more.
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:41 pm

ok, I can try it....but I'm still wondering if wordpress is my real hang up. I'll try it tonight and see if I have time........Thanks Phil Wojo
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 pm

If you have your own site WordPress does nothing more than put up html code to make a page. So this should work you just need to get everything setup correctly.
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Ok....I'm guessing you've figured out I don't have a clue what I'm doing....lol
I've just started revamping my web site, so I'll try your earlier suggestions when I get everything back up again.
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby SamGordon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:35 am

Phil Wojo wrote:I can't test this right now as I am at work, but you need to fill in the 3 boxes for "report, script and data" directories with paths to your web site. Even if they are just the default path. That could be the issue, since it doesn't know where to put them. You might just have to put in your patch to your root directory, if that is where you want the files.

I will see if I can look at this when I get home tonight, not sure if I will have time though. Or maybe Doug, or someone else can chime in to assist more.

You should only need to put something in the script and data directories if you're using advanced web deploy. I'm guessing if you leave the report field blank, it will upload to the root directory, which probably isn't where you want it to go.
RANDOM_AVATAR
SamGordon

{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: SamG

Postby Phil Wojo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 am

I forgot I had this image on here, I haven't had time to try things at home, but this should help, check it out and see what I had put in for mine.

click on image to make it bigger.
click on image to make it bigger.

The first part of the fields where is says "/public_html/" and then goes on from there, that part if my root or home directory. The stuff after that are sub-directories on my web-site that I keep my pools in.

So, I don't know hostgator or what they do for their layout, but I would bet it is similar. So, if you don't put anything in those fields it might not upload to the correct place. You can try just putting in the /public_html/ and seeing what happens. That is, of course, assuming you want it in your root/home directory of your web site.

If you want it in a sub-directory you MUST create the sub-directory on your web site first and then put it in like in my example from the picture.

Hope this helps more.
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:08 am

Due to work and stuff I didn't get to play with it much. I didn't get it to load so I just made a link button and put it on my web page and went ahead and got the web hosting from Doug again. I can still direct people to my web site which is what I wanted all along anyway. While I was at it I also set up a "pay online" button and set up a square store to take card payments there. We'll see how that goes this year and I'll try and tackle getting it all on my web site over the summer when I'm not under a time crunch. Thanks to everyone who helped. I'll come back and keep you posted when I figure out what I was doing wrong so it may help someone else in the future
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:34 am

Sounds good, but if you have the time play with it more now, did you ever implement the changes as recommended in my post above with the picture attached?
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby KYWILDCAT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Yes I did, but I still didn't have any luck. I'm still probably directing it to the wrong place.....I'll get it figured out for next year. Thanks again
RANDOM_AVATAR
KYWILDCAT

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:

Postby Phil Wojo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Sounds good, maybe this will help I did a google for hostgator and this is what I found:

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/c ... tml-folder

If you want, and have the time, post a pic of your updated FTP Manager screen now. If not, next year is fine as well! :)
~Phil

Phil Wojo

{ USER_STATUS }:

Return to Turbo Tourney Support Forum