FTP Error 12003 (550 reports: Permission denied)

All issues and questions relating to Turbo Tourney Pro should be posted here. Support members, forum moderators and other members can help you with your questions.
PaqMan98

FTP Error 12003 (550 reports: Permission denied)

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:40 pm

During a Basic Web Deployment, the initial FTP upload fails with an Error 12003.
Extended error information says "550 reports: Permission denied"

Apparently trying and failing to create a reports directory that already exists on the server. I have tried deleting the directory and re-running ... same result.
I have used this program for years without incident. The solutions currently on the board date from 2014 and recommend uninstalling IE11 or applying a security fix (MS14-010) The link provided yields a dizzying page of BS that indicates no clear course of action.

My OS is Windows 10 - current on all updates and security patches.

Please advise ASAP.

Phil Wojo
Old Username: philwojo

Re: FTP Error 12003 (550 reports: Permission denied)

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:42 pm

try this link:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=442
~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]
(They rate free hosting services)

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Yes - That's where I saw the (inapplicable) 2014 information. I have also tried both Active and Passive FTP modes.

Was there something else that I was supposed to glean from that link?

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Who is your web host? I know there was one I used for other program that would not allow me to set permissions.

What are you current permissions set as for your Reports directory on your web server?
~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm

AwardSpace (I have used them with TT for the past two years)

The directory permissions were set at (751) - I also tried them set at (777) and with no pre-existing directories at all.

Same result. I am uninstalling IE11 now.

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Let us know on uninstalling IE11, but the 777 permissions should have worked in terms of permissions at least.
~Phil

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:56 pm

My QuickBooks won't run without IE.

TT still fails in the identical manner.

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Can you use an external FTP program, like Filezilla, and successfully upload?

I am kind of out of idea at this point, maybe one of the other guys will have an idea.
~Phil

SamGordon
Old Username: SamG

Post by SamGordon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:01 pm

I was going to suggest the same as Phil, try with a separate FTP program. More as a troubleshooting step than a solution. Assuming the 3rd party FTP works, double check the credentials you entered into TT.

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

This smells like a stupid configuration error on my part - I just can figure out *where*.

Is there a reference as to where/how to move the file(s) into the correct place(s) manually until I can work this out?
(I have people breathing down my neck about their missing pick sheets)

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 pm

FileZilla works fine - I just don't know where everything goes - I have let the FTP manager do all of the work in years past!

I typed and retyped the credentials into TT many times before I opened this case.

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:12 pm

I don't think it is credentials, it isn't failing to login, it is failing after that point.

I think if you just take the files as they are saved on your PC and just upload the directory with the same directory structure it will be fine, but I am no 100% certain of that.
~Phil

SamGordon
Old Username: SamG

Post by SamGordon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 pm

If you don't know the correct directory structure, how did you test with FileZilla?

Since you're using your own web hosting, it's up to you to determine the directory structure. For example, I have a directory for each year. That folder contains the home page and menu pages. Inside that, I have an "images" (self explanatory), a "main" (all main pool reports), and a "second" (second chance pool reports) directory.

I need to make sure my FTP settings for my main pool point to host/tournament17/main and my secondary pool goes to host/tournament17/second.

Did you double check what you have in FTP Manager report directory is actually where you need it to go? Keep in mind, that is (IIRC) a relative path to where you end up when you login. Also, is any directory capitalized? I've had instances where I try to push to tournament17/main (for example), but my directory structure is actually Tournament17/main.

PaqMan98

Post by PaqMan98 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I can see the directory structure from previous years - data, reports, scripts ... but which files go in which directory? FTP manager has always handled that.
FileZilla lets me move, create, copy and change permissions to my heart's content.

I was starting over on a new machine - my older files were not readily available.
After all of this, I went into the *deep* archives and found an old .tt file, converted it for the 2017 release, and all is well. Works perfectly!

(I may never know what was wrong ... but at this point, I don't care!)

Thanks for your suggestions.

<<Jeff>>

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I think Sam might be right, it might have been a capitalization error, but at least it is working for you now so that is good.
~Phil

Doug
Old Username: Doug

Post by Doug » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Yes very likely if your host is Unix/Linux based as the files/folders are most definitely case sensitive.