Pool Within A Pool

All issues and questions relating to Turbo Tourney Pro should be posted here. Support members, forum moderators and other members can help you with your questions.
Fred
Old Username: Fred

Pool Within A Pool

Post by Fred » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Don't know if this is possible or not, but I have a family that will have 6 or 7 members playing in this year's pool and they have asked if I can track their standings and make a "pool within a pool" to see which of them will come out ahead. I was looking at the software and was not able to see where this is possible, but thought I would ask. I am running an old version of the Turbo Tourney Pro 2005 if that helps any.

Fred

Phil Wojo
Old Username: philwojo

Re: Pool Within A Pool

Post by Phil Wojo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 pm

No, that is not a feature that is available in any version, at least not that I am aware of.

You could always setup a 2nd pool just for them, keep them in the main, but then just have a 2nd site for just them with the same picks.
~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]
(They rate free hosting services)

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Phil...setting up a second pool seems like too much work for the number of participants but I did see that I can export the current standings report in either text, or Excel format which will work for me. I will have to remove all of the other players from the report, but it will certainly make it easier for me.

SamGordon
Old Username: SamG

Post by SamGordon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am

Do you have available text fields or check boxes that you're not using? Maybe use those and then do configurable report sorted based on that?

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 am

SamGordon, that sounds like it might work but am confused about how to make that work. I do have some text fields available and would appreciate you explaining that further.

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

I think Sam means to use one of those fields as a unique identifier, call it "Family" and put in Y or N, or something along those lines.

Then use the configurable report to only show those that have Family as "Y" and then a secondary filter on points.

I am going off the top of my head here and don't have the program in front of me, but that would be my guess on his thinking here.
~Phil
Do you have a backup of your *.tt file??? If not save a 2nd copy somewhere other than your computer, use a flash drive or something, don't wait do it now!! Do it any time you make a change or import new entries.

For FREE web hosting services, meaning your own web site, check out [click]http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/[/click]

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm

I think he means use this:

Then set Filter #1 to sort based on your new Text, then Filter 2 and if necessary Filter 3
~Phil

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:49 pm

OK, correct me if I'm wrong. I took the following steps.
  • Added a family name to one of the Player Flag1 check box under Tournament - Options-Players Tab
  • Check the check box in those players that would be part of the Family Pool Standings
  • Sorted by Player Flag1 in the sort field 1 portion of the Configurable Standings Report
The report is not sorting those players at the top of the report and nothing seems to have changed in the report. Is this what I should be doing or am I completely off base? Perhaps I missed a step or steps that would make this work?

Phil Wojo

Post by Phil Wojo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Seems like what you should do. So what did it do? How did it sort them?

Again I don't have the software at work so I am totally going by memory.
~Phil

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm

It sorted them the same way as if I had not taken any of the steps mentioned. There was no effect at all. Perhaps because the tournament has not started yet and all I have is a list of players, but if the players had been sorted with the family players at the top, I would have known that it was working. Perhaps SamGordon will chime in with more detailed instructions.

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:40 pm

OK, I think I have figured it out in the sense that I have been able to get the players in the family to show up at the top of the list by sorting them in descending order. My next question is one of greed...is it possible to just display the players in the family instead of just the top of the page because I would like to display just the family members as a standings page. I have not been able to figure that out, but it is likely not possible. Otherwise I would need to delete all of the other players from that specific report. Also, can I assume that even though I would change the header name from Configurable Standings to Family Standings, the html name would still be configurablestandings.html? I would then also need to ensure that I don't overwrite one report with another one.

Paul
Old Username: PaulJ

Post by Paul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Hey Fred,
The Configurable Standings Report only sorts data and does not provide filter functionality. So, you will need to manually delete the rows you do not want to display in your report.
You can rename the filename of the Configurable Standings Report (and any report) by selecting Reports on the menu and then select Report File Names.
You can also rename the Configurable Standings Report Title by selecting Reports on the menu and then select Report Setup. Select the Configurable Standings Report and change the Report Title to your preference.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:20 pm

That's what I figured Paul, thanks for your response. I would want to have a Configurable Standings report for the "main" pool also, so I will have to rename it as I need it and make sure to put it back to where it should be depending on the report I am running. This year I am going to test this by just uploading the different standings for the two different groups. Depending on the acceptance of the reports, I may make that an addition to the pool, meaning additional fees to pay out for the winners of the groups.

SamGordon

Post by SamGordon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 am

Sorry I haven't been back, but it seems the others have helped you.

The other thing I would consider doing is once all of your family entries are in, create a copy of the pool (call it "family.tts") file, delete all the non family players, then change the report file names (as Paul said), set the scheduler for that pool also, then let it go. So you would have currentstandings.html for your main pool and familycurrentstandings.html for the family one. It would be your choice if you put them all in the same directory on your website (easier as long as you've changed the report names) or create a different directory for the family reports.

The only caveat is if you're using the TT internet add on, this would require you to purchase another of those (I think). But if you're using your own hosting site, this should be fairly easy.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 am

SamGordon, when you say "create a copy of the pool", I assume you mean use the Save As option as I could not find a copy option.

SamGordon

Post by SamGordon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes, that is one option. You can do "Save As" and just save it as a separate file name. Or just use Windows explorer, copy the file, then rename the copy.