[Answered] Auto refresh

All issues and questions relating to the Turbo Tourney Internet Add-On should be posted here. Moderators and other members can help you with your questions.

[Answered] Auto refresh

Postby dcnoonkester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm

I deal with a lot of older players and some "less than computer savvy". One common complaint "The page doesn't update"...which usually leads to me finding out they have opened a page, leave it open, and never refresh.

I am experimenting with an auto refresh meta tag in my header;

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300" >

It seems to work. The page auto refreshes every 300 seconds/5 minutes. My question is, has anyone else used something like this? My concern - I start my Sweet 16 Second Chance entries tomorrow night. While people are on the page picking their brackets, if it auto refreshes in the middle of them picking, will it wipe the entry page clean? That is the only issue I can think of. If anyone has used auto refresh before and found other issues, please let me know. I plan on testing this issue right after my entry page becomes active. I have a duplicate header without the auto refresh meta tag available to use during the entry period, if it causes an issue.
dcnoonkester

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: dcnoonkester

Re: Auto refresh

Postby SamGordon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:54 pm

I have used the auto refresh in the past with good success. I don't remember it being an issue on the entry pages. But as you said, simply leave that part out until you're ready to publish other reports.
RANDOM_AVATAR
SamGordon

{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: SamG

Re: Auto refresh

Postby dcnoonkester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

It works like a charm. BUT...it does interfere with the online entry form, if it is attached to the same site. I opened my sweet 16 tourney for entries last night. I opened a entry page, partially filled out the bracket and waited. The auto refresh wiped it out.

So, I keep two TTHeader.html files handy - one without refresh for entry periods and one with auto refresh for use when the entry period is over. I've also had some cache issues in the past....I'm thinking the auto refresh will take care of it.
dcnoonkester

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
{ USER_STATUS }:
Old Username: dcnoonkester

Return to Turbo Tourney Internet Add-On Members Area