Your Opinion Is Requested

Talk about anything you want.
Fred
Old Username: Fred

Your Opinion Is Requested

Post by Fred » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 pm

For the last few years, I have been showing a list of players that have submitted their picks for the regular 64 team tournament as well as the Sweet 16 Tournament. The list shows the player's name, the championship team they have selected, the tiebreaker points and the timestamp of their submission. These lists are updated as the picks are received. You can see a screen shot of the display below.

I have been told that providing the team name and tiebreaker gives everyone a leg up on what teams others will pick as well as what tiebreaker points others should pick. My opinion is that you should pick the team that you think will win the tournament because knowing what others have picked is not going to make a difference.

I would appreciate your opinion on this as the information displayed on the list can be easily changed to whatever I want. The information is pulled from the playerpicks.ttw file that is generated once the picks are submitted. Thanks for your input and look forward to hearing it.
submitted.PNG
submitted.PNG (281.45 KiB) Viewed 239 times

SamGordon
Old Username: SamG

Re: Your Opinion Is Requested

Post by SamGordon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:57 pm

I intentionally do not include who people picked or the tie breaker before the tournament starts. I do think it gives late entries a leg up. Using this year's bracket as an example, if 90% of the people in my pool picked Villanova, I won't want to pick them (unless I'm REALLY REALLY sure they're going to win). I feel my odds are improved if I pick Michigan (for example).

As far as the tie breaker, it's like the price is right... if you see someone pick 140, 141, 142, 143, you might pick 144 which gives you 144 and up (or pick 139 which gives you everything below).

Just my opinion of course.

Fred
Old Username: Fred

Re: Your Opinion Is Requested

Post by Fred » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Your opinion and anyone else's opinion is what I am looking for SamGordon. Thanks for your input. You make the same point that others have made so I guess I will have to change things next year. Maybe I can just list the name and timestamp.